£1.5bn paid out in interest rate swap redress, says FCA

The FCA has released an update on the interest rate hedging product misselling scheme, showing that £1.5bn has been paid out as of the end of the September.


Related topics:

Tuesday 14th October 2014

cash banknotes money

Deprecated: trim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\2025.financialreporter.co.uk\htdocs\templates\front-end\partials\article_blockquote.php on line 2

The regulator says that all nine banks involved in the scheme have now completed their sales reviews for customers who joined the scheme before March 2014, and have delivered redress letters to almost all these customers.

The banks have now sent 17,000 redress determinations to customers, 14,000 of which include a cash redress offer and 3,000 confirm that the IRHP sale complied with FCA rules or that the customer suffered no loss.

To date, around 10,000 customers have accepted a redress offer and £1.5 billion is being paid out, including more than £300 million to cover consequential losses. This means that so far 71% of offers have been accepted. For those banks who got their letters out earlier, the acceptance rates are nearing 90%.
 

The banks will also continue to assess customer claims for consequential loss. Every redress offer has 8 per cent simple interest per year added, but those who can demonstrate their losses exceeded that can submit a consequential loss claim.

As of September, 2,965 customers have submitted a consequential loss claim, half of which have been assessed. The banks have paid out £5m for these claims so far.

The FCA expects the work of the banks to continue until the end of the year.

Author:
Amy Loddington Communications director Communications director
Do you have a story for Financial Reporter?
Get in touch

Comments:


Breaking news
Direct to your inbox:

More
stories
you'll love:

Latest from:

Property Reporter


Protection Reporter


Modern Lender